Here is a survey from The Times of London newspaper from October
2008. They asked some experts from The Royal College of
Psychiatrists to create a quick survey you can ask yourself to find
out whether indeed you are drinking too much.
Please note this survey is not to constitute medical advice and see
your medical practitioner if you have any major concerns with
alcohol as a result of this survey or otherwise.
1. Do you ever worry that you drink too much?
2. Have friends or family expressed concern about you about your
3. Do you find you can drink a lot without becoming drunk?
4. Do you need to drink more to have the same effect?
5. Have you tried to stop drinking, but found that you were unable
to for more than a few days?
6. Do you carry on drinking even though it is interfering with your
work, family or relationships?
7. Do you need a drink to start the day?
8. Do you get shaky, sweaty or anxious a few hours after your last
9. Have you experienced blanks in your memory, where you can’t
remember what happened for a period of hours or days?
10. Is your judgement affected by alcohol, so that you do things
that you normally wouldn’t, such as starting fights or arguments,
having unprotected sex with strangers or becoming violent.
If you answer yes to more than three of these questions, it is
indicator of alcohol misuse.
The full article can be found here: